This Is Not a Review!

It's customary at the start of the year for bloggers everywhere to come out from under the lead and plastic pile of presents they've spent the last few days immersed in, and share their review of the year that was and muse on the promise of the year that is yet to be. With hobby achievements on the one hand and a schedule of what is to come in the other, we stand flabbergasted at their achievements and wonder what we are doing so wrong that we can't measure up to such a high standard.

Or at least I do.

Well, you can rest assured that there'll be none of that kind of nonsense from me. No siree.  I've been around the block a few times now, and I've learned a few things.

First, I have a life. Or a family. Not sure if they are both the same or not. Anyway, having either, and occasionally both, means that the best laid schemes of the proverbial mouse and man generally go flying out of the window. Often with little or no prior warning.

Take the last couple of months or so for example. I don't know what happened but boy did illnesses abound. If it wasn't my family that had come down with the latest bug, it was my fellow gamers. When my house wasn't in quarantine, games were being cancelled due to ill health. Quite how I managed to remain plague free through it all is quite beyond me.

Second, plans change. Sometimes in little ways, others not so subtly. A year and a half ago I agreed to try out 8th edition 40K. It was a turning point for me in my gaming. After years of gathering dust, my GW miniature boxes were coming out of storage and much fun was being had. Since then I've gotten into Age of Sigmar, Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Kill Team and Nightvault. I say gotten into, but two of them haven't been played yet. Not that it has stopped me from looking out miniatures and planning purchases.

Oh, and don't forget Warhammer 40K Conquest.  Conquest is such an unbelievable cut in the cost of the miniatures alone that I was bowled over to finally be able to buy into a partwork for myself. Such goodness. Which, of course, teaches us another lesson which I'll use as my third point: budget. For when a deal as good as this comes along and you commit to it, you have to acknowledge that some of your other plans must go on hold as a result.

All of which leaves me in a position that I suspect many of us Wargamers are in. Too many projects, too little time. Which, if I'm honest, is a really good thing. I'm not a member of a gaming club. This means I don't have to worry about fees. I spend my budget on what I want. I don't have commitments to tournaments or projects outwith what I decide to prepare for with my gaming buddies.

I don't have to compromise on my painting style because of any deadlines. I don't have to cut corners on making scenery.

But I do need to paint a lot of models. So I'm going to focus on that for this year. It's not like I'm short on choice. There's Stormcast Eternals, Kharadron Overlords, Nighthaunts, Beastclaw Raiders, Death Guard, Cadians, Primaris, Blood Angels, Adeptus Mechanicus, Wars of the Roses, English Civil War, Napoleonics, the Wars of Ingratitude, WWII Normandy in 15mm and North Africa in 28mm, 20mm Moderns, Sudan and the Zulu War. And that's just off the top of my head.

Will it all get done? I seriously doubt it. Will I be able to complete everything by project rather than take a pick and mix approach? I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced. Is there a better way to achieve all this? Quite possibly. That's why suggestions in the comments box below are always welcome.

But I do know one thing. It might not be perfectly organised, it might be eclectic, but 2019 is gearing up to be at least as good a year of hobby as the last one.

And in my book, that's a pretty awesome place to be.

A very Happy, peaceful, joyful and hobby-filled New Year to you all!

Comments