TFL CoC: Progress with the Deutsche Afrikakorps

I have to confess, I'm getting really excited to be able to bring Chain of Command to my tabletop.
 I'm going to be gaming the North Africa campaign in 28mm. For this, as I'm sure you'll remember, I'm using the beautiful plastic miniatures from the Perry Twins. 
I'm building both my Deutsche Afrikakorps and British 8th Army forces from a single box.  As I've experienced, you need to add some more figures to make a DAK platoon compliant with the army list, but this is no problem. I talk about the way of doing this here and add a slight amendment I hadn't accounted for here. I chose to buy a single troop frame from Second City Games on eBay. He's my go-to seller for such things. Fast dispatch in jiffy bags. And this frame came with the sheet from the box, which I thought was a lovely touch.  
In doing this, I discovered that it's not just MG-34's you're short of in the platoon box.  You're also short of some rifles.  Three in fact.  This, of course, put a slight hiatus in my assembly schedule as I waited for the extra sprue to arrive.  Once it did though, there was no problem and I was able to get on with the build.  A single extra sprue makes everything possible, as you can see in the following photos...
Here's the Pz.B.39 Anti-Tank Rifle Support Team alongside the Le.GrW36 5cm Mortar Support team. 
Here's the remaining riflemen. 
Here's the third Squad.
And this is my Leutnant, a Senior Leader on a 30mm diameter MDF base. 
This is another of my support options from the box, a Forward Observer with an off-table 81mm Mortar Battery I don't need to model.

And here's me doing something I haven't done in a long time.  Yup, that's miliput you can see on the bases.  It's been good to get going with this stuff again.  
I normally apply my base mix to my models and not bother with smoothing things down with miliput.  I like the broken ground this gives.  It allows me to add in clump foliage and not feel that you lose sight of the feet of your model. 
But in this case, I've chosen a completely different route to basing my men.  I'm going to try out a wonderful idea I came across on Luke's APS.  To do this I need a smooth finish to my bases. I'll let you know how it goes when I get this lot painted. 
Talking of which, here's the first try.  This is one of my Obergefreiter, a Junior Leader.  The lighting wasn't great, but you get the gist of it.  



All I need to do now is make my SDKF 222 Armoured Car...

As always, thanks for stopping by!




Comments