Generic Terrain: Hedges Part I
Confession time. I've been gaming for more than thirty years, but I have no actual hedges. To be honest, I've always used lichen and seemed to get away with it. I have a large bag of the stuff and it's served me well for many years. I've never felt the need to base it or even flock it. It's been a versatile and useful tool in many a layout. It's also easy to pack away as it goes right back into the bag it comes out of. It'll continue to appear on layouts in the future. The only downside is that using it in this way creates a very random clump of the stuff. You're not going to be able to do a really good job of representing more tended hedges. It's a problem I've been wanting to rectify for a long time.
Whilst out and about this morning, I had an opportunity to pop into the nearest Poundland. I wanted to see if they had any spray primer for my TT Combat buildings. This all came about because I have been working on their City Warehouse kit. I'd spent a lot of money on a primer from B&Q. Great stuff, but expensive. I had determined to give up and go back to the old method of applying a coat of PVA when lo and behold, Hugh Johnson and Jez Allum alerted me to equally good but way cheaper alternatives. And I was delighted to see the stuff in Poundland! I'll be using it for all my future MDF kit builds.
There are a lot of ways to go about making hedges for your wargaming. Just about every possible method is detailed in an excellent video by Mel the Terrain Tutor which you can watch here. I say 'just about' because I'm going to be doing something similar to his rubberised horsehair method. Of course, the stuff might be called that, but its actually vulcanised coconut fibre. My method uses coconut fibres from a hanging basket liner (coco liner) teased out to look like the vulcanised stuff. For a fraction of a price.
Why did I choose this method? Well because I like a hedge you can see through. I'm not a fan of a solid lump. This is why I used lichen for so long. I'm hoping this method will make some realistic looking hedgerows. I feel the effort will be more than justified by the finished effect.
Here's how I began the process.
First up, reference figures. This is really important. If you're making any kind of scenery, always have a figure or two to hand to make sure that what you're building looks right for the figures that will appear alongside it. As you can see in the next photo, I'm deliberately making things hard for myself. On the left is a 28mm Wars of the Roses archer from Perry Miniatures. He's accompanied by an Obergefreiter, a German Officer from WWII in 15mm. I know it looks like I'm undermining my own advice, but bear with me and I'll explain.
I began by cutting one of the coco liners in half. I then cut out a strip about 2cm high and about three centimetres longer than the jumbo lollipop stick I'm using as a base.
As you can see in the next photo, the coco liner is very thin.
So I used my faithful UHU glue. It's multipurpose glue, and it's more than fit for this purpose. It's quick drying and it works really well.
Here are my two models to show you how the height looks at 28mm and 15mm scales.
As always, thanks for stopping by!