Robin of Sherwood Meets Blood Eagle

Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten...

Last week I had a knee Op.  Not how you expected me to start this post I'll warrant, but let me explain. I was in excellent hands and am on the road to recovery. However, it's given me a lot of time on my hands coupled with an inability to find a comfortable position to sit and do any hobby.

This you will understand is a dangerous thing. Because it gives plenty of time to let the mind wander. And with the old interweb just a phone and tablet away, I don't even need to balance my laptop on my tender lap.
As part of my recovery, I've been watching my DVD copies of Robin of Sherwood and reliving my yesteryears. It's seasons 1 and 2 of course, the Michael Praed years. Never did settle with that Jason Connery upstart.
See. Even the rest of the cast weren't impressed with his smugness...
I've always wanted to play a Robin Hood game. So much so that I went out and purchased those Robin of Sherwood Fighting Fantasy style books when they came out all those years ago. Yes, even though Jason Connery was on the covers. It's amazing what diversities gaming can overcome...

I'd take a photo of them to show you, but I can't get up to the loft to dig them out!

And it's exactly at points like these, when you can't get anywhere and your mind runs wild about gaming ideas, that a moment of clarity can happen. I remembered reading an old copy of Nick Eyre's North Star newsletter. It had army lists for skirmish wargaming Robin Hood using Blood Eagle from the excellent Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare.  So I did what any self-respecting  person would do. I searched online. And I found it here. (Don't say I'm not good to you!)
This of course led to me putting together an army list. Here's how my Merry Men look:


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Robin of Loxley, Robin i’the Hoode
2+
+4
+5
+2
Christian
106
Traits
Equipment
Leadership +2, Hero (3), Inspirational, Hawkeye, Close Quarters Shooting, Skirmisher, Many shot,  Uncanny Accuracy
Leather jacket, war bow, long sword,


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Friar Tuck
4+
+2
+1
+1
Christian
50
Traits
Equipment
Berserk, Hero (1), Holy
Leather Jacket, Quarterstaff, Hunting Bow
Magical Powers (Miracles)         
Light of God, Lay on Hands, Blessing


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Marian Fitzwalter  
4+
+2
+1
+1
Christian
38
Traits
Equipment
Hero (2), Unearthly Beauty
Dagger


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Will Scarlet
3+
+4
+2
+1
Christian
76
Traits
Equipment
Hero (1), Second Strike, Two Weapons, Skirmisher, Hawkeye, Close Quarters Shooting
Leather Jacket, War Bow, Long Sword, Short Sword


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Allan-a-Dale
4+
+2
+2
+1
Christian
34
Traits
Equipment
Hero (1), Silver Tongue
Leather Jacket, Hunting Bow, Long Sword


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Little John
3+
+4
+1
+0
Christian
36
Traits
Equipment
Hero (1), Tough
Leather Jacket, Quarterstaff


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Much, the Miller’s Son
5+
+1
+1
+1
Christian
15
Traits
Equipment

Quarterstaff, Dagger


Of course, from the word go I was already thinking about what figures I'd use, and what I'd need to purchase. Admittedly, I have a budget of basically zilch to do this right now, but I've never let that get in the way of some good planning. Honestly, you should see how many wish lists I have! Anyway, the plans I have boil down to a rather mish-mashing of styles. I can't find a set of sculpts of my beloved Michael Praed, Ray Winstone, Nickolas Grace et al.  So I've got a cunning plan!

Years ago I purchased Bertrand le Brigand, Gui let Gross and Hugo le Petit from Games Workshop. I loved the whole Errol Flynn look of Bertrand. So you can instantly see what half of my wolf'heads will look like. The rest of them will be taken from some very old GW models. I can't get to them with a gammy knee, and there's little likelihood of finding them online.  This will have to be the subject of a subsequent post, methinks!

As to their opposition, they are looking like this:


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Sir Robert de Rainault, Sheriff of Nottingham
3+
+3
+2
+0
Christian
68
Traits
Equipment
Leadership +2, Hero (2)
Mail Hauberk, Full Helm, War Horse, Long Sword, Dagger


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Sir Guy of Gisborne  
4+
+3
+2
+1
Christian
62
Traits
Equipment
Leadership +1, Fortitude, Hero (1)
Mail Hauberk, Full helm, War Horse, Long Sword, Dagger


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Captain of the Guard
4+
+3
+2
+1
Christian
53
Traits
Equipment
Leadership +1
Mail Hauberk, Full Helm, War Horse, Long Sword, Dagger


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
4 Guardsmen
6+
+1
+1
+0
Christian
84 (21)
Traits
Equipment

Leather Jacket, Crossbow, Short Sword


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
6 Guardsmen
6+
+1
+1
+0
Christian
96 (16)
Traits
Equipment

Leather Jacket, Shield, Spear


As far as miniatures go, I think I've found a perfect selection in the excellent Perry twins' Crusader range. First up, CU1 Mounted Commanders (Bohemond, Godfrey of Bouillon and Raymond of Toulouse). Here's what they look like:
Or, as I like to call them, from left to right, Captain of the Guard,  the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisborne. 

There is provision in the lists to field the Abbot in the Sheriff's force. I like this idea very much. However, from what I've seen in the show, he tends to travel to and from Nottingham Castle rather than in the company of his older brother, the Sheriff. You've gotta love sibling rivalry.  


And then on to the issue of the guards themselves. In the rules, they don't wear chain mail.  But in most films, and especially my beloved TV series, they do. This of course leads me to use my Fudge That! House Rule we use in our gaming. They can stay in leather jacket for the purpose of the rules. But for the visual aesthetic, and to suit my sensibilities, I'm going to use models in chain mail.  Which means I'l'll need to purchase these

and these (although I'll only need four of them!)
So all I need to do now is concentrate on getting my knee better so I can up to the loft and start looking out what  have.  Beyond that, I'll need to get a letter off to Santa...!

Time to end with a stirring quote from Robin, courtesy of Richard Carpenter:

You were sleeping. You’ve slept too long. We all have. It’s time we woke. Time we stopped running.

Our friends who were killed will never starve. They'll never be tortured or chained in the dark. They’re here with us in Sherwood. They always will be. Because they’re free.

(I'm so looking forward to this project!!!!!!)


Comments

  1. Hi, did you come up with other army lists from Robin of Sherwood ie the Knights Templar, the Hounds of Lucifer, the Sons of Fenris, Owen of Clun etc, etc. Great stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess not. But the great thing about all the rules by TMoGW is such things are rather fun and easy to do. Since writing this, I have had lots of other ideas for Robin Good gaming. But if I get a chance I'll happily throw some ideas together.

      Delete

Post a Comment