My Completed Anglo-Saxons for Blood Eagle

I'm delighted to have been able to get to a point where I could do some miniature painting after my knee op.  Here are my remaining four figures for my Blood Eagle Anglo-Saxon force.  The three Fyrd spearmen on the left are from Gripping Beast's Dark Age Warriors plastic set.  The lone archer on the right is from Conquest Games' medieval Archers set.  I had purchased both sprues as separate items from a seller on eBay.  The latter were called Dark Ages Archers.  Personally I think they are fine for my purposes.
I should point out that the Conquest Games miniatures are a little fiddly to assemble.  Granted, I didn't have any instructions, but you don't get any supplied in the box either.  This is mainly caused by the time you spend trying to figure out which arms actually fit which torso.  Some of the combinations can leave your poor little plastic man looking like someone has come along and broken both his arms.  A simple set of instructions linking torsos to their respective arm positions wouldn't go amiss here.  It's not hard.  Victrix have been doing this with their Napoleonics ever since they stared producing them.
That was the progress yesterday.  Today, I set about flocking their bases.  This was my first time trying to work at the dining table, and my knee did a very good job of coping with it all.

 I use a mix of sand, railway ballast and some cork chippings as my base mix and apply this with PVA to my bases.  As you will probably recall if you've read stuff on my blog before, I do this before undercoating my models.  I paint the base after finishing off painting the model itself.

So today I applied PVA to the painted bases with an old paint brush.  I leave stones and a few patched of the soil clear before I cover the base in Woodland Scenics Green Blend Turf.  I then add a few spots of PVA on top of this and apply my Noch Spring Grass Static Flock.  I always do this in odd numbers.  There is a tendency for even numbers to look too regular on any shape of wargaming base.  Thirdly and finally, I again add either one or three spots of PVA and then apply some Coarse Turf.  I have medium Green and Light Green.  I then leave them to one side to dry off.
 These basing materials really set off a miniature and make them pop in my humble opinion.
 I know many people suggest drybrushing your static flock, but I've never seen the need to do so myself.


And if you're wanting to see how this lot look in game terms, here's the army in all its 301 points of monochrome glory:


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Aethelweard,
Theign
2+
+4
+2
+0
Christian
89
Traits
Equipment
Fearless, Hero (3 Points), Leadership +2, Strong
Mail Hauberk, Light helm, shield, long sword,


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Ordwulf, Priest
3+
+1
+0
+1
Christian
80
Traits
Equipment
Hero (3 Points), Holy
Standard, Long Sword, Mail Hauberk, 2 Vials of Holy Water
Magical Powers (Miracles)         
Face of God, Light of God, Lay on Hands, Blessing


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Eadwulf,
Huscarle
4+
+2
+1
+0
Christian
52
Traits
Equipment
Tough, Leadership +1, Hero (2 Points)
Mail Byrnie, Light Helm, Shield, One-handed Axe, Throwing Axes


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Fyrd Spearman
5+
+1
+0
+1
Christian
17
Traits
Equipment

Leather Byrnie, Spear, Shield


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Fyrd Spearman
5+
+1
+0
+1
Christian
17
Traits
Equipment

Leather Byrnie, Spear, Shield


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Fyrd Spearman
5+
+1
+0
+1
Christian
17
Traits
Equipment

Leather Byrnie, Spear, Shield


Fate
FV
SV
Speed
Religion
Points
Fyrd Skirmisher
6+
+0
+1
+1
Christian
29
Traits
Equipment
Skirmisher, Hawkeye, Stealthy
Hunting Bow, Leather Byrnie, short sword


As always, thanks for stopping by!

Popular Posts