Modern City Base Boards Part Two

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.  Even if it takes a lot longer than anticipated.  
 We left off last time with the TT Combat base boards given a coat of International 3 in 1 Primer, Sealer and Undercoat.  I also managed to put on a single coat of black around the sides.
 Since then I gave the sides a second coat of black and left it to dry for the necessary four hours.  This effectively ended my time on this project for the day.  So the next day (gotta love holiday weekends!) I set about painting the grey on the surface and edge.  Again, I'm using a tester pot from B&Q's Valspar range.  This particular shade of grey is apparently R12E which bears the ridiculous name of "Whistling Whippoorwill".  Honestly, it's not worth the asking.  Anyhoo, two coats later and a night to dry out properly and they look the business.  Well, apart from the three on the right of the next photo.  I have a few slight grey brush strokes on the black that I need to paint over.
This of course meant that this morning (I really love this holiday weekend) I set about working on the pavement sections.  And this means going back to the trusty 3 in 1 Primer, Sealer and Undercoat.  It may look pretty straight forward at this point.  I fell into that trap.  Believe me it wasn't.  
This quickly became one of those jobs that just takes as long as it's going to take.  In my case this was a little over two hours.  Two hours of holding each piece between thumb and forefinger whilst painting the edge.  Then laying it down to paint the top surface, holding it in place with a fingernail.  Needless to say my fingers soon got a coating, hence the lack of photos.  However, once this task was completed (which I did enjoy, despite everything) it did make an impressive view on my dining table.   
However, with a minimum of four hours to dry properly, and the table required for an evening of Zombie Golf, this is where I have to leave the project for today.  There's not enough time to get a coat of paint on the pavement sections and give it time to dry.

Next time I'll get to work on the pavements.  Then it'll be time to add all the road markings and details to the base boards.  Hopefully by then the project will be more interesting than watching paint dry!

Thanks for stopping by to see the progress!

Comments