Saturday, Sunday, Happy Days!
I'm delighted to say that I have completed my American Diner build for All Things Zombie. And not a moment too soon, either. It'll take centre stage in our next game tomorrow evening.
You can find the earlier parts here:
Here's s shot of the workstation (a.k.a. my very own corner of the Dining Table) once the work was finished this evening. What follows is a brief overlook at the work done yesterday and today to get to this point, illustrated with suitable photos when I remembered to do so. It's been a bit of a dash to get this one finished, but hey, it's fast food after all!
So, my first photo is of a window. After carefully measuring the frame, and allowing sufficient overlay to glue the window to the wall, I attach my acetate to represent the glass. As with all my builds over the last coupe of years, I've been slowly using up the plastic packaging two ginormous rolls of Christmas wrapping paper came in. It's glazed the Town with No Name. It's glazed my city buildings for ATZ. And save for a couple of thin strips that will probably serve no use at all, but which I couldn't bring myself to throw out, it's now all finished. Look at me, getting all sentimental about such things...
So I used an old trick of mixing polyfiller powder with PVA and a little water to a paste-like consistency. The idea is that when it dries on, it creates a nice textured surface akin to the much longer method I had dismissed due to time constraints. The problem was it looked good at this stage, but it didn't do so well when it came to painting the model. It made it look as if I had been heavy handed with the paintbrush rather than giving me a definite surface to drybrush. So I didn't drybrush it at all, for fear it would look bad. I think a few progressive layers of this would have been better. But if I had done that, I'd have been just as well as to have cover the whole thing in polyfiller and sanded it down. Which as I said before, I didn't have time for.
After painting the model, it was time to work on the signage for the diner. I used our good friend Google to search images, and decided eventually to make signs to fit on top of the flat roof of the diner, rather than make a freestanding sign. I turned to my trusty bamboo skewers to form the frame. As you an see, I filed grooves into the uprights and the horizontal beams to make sure they would fit together more easily when the superglue was applied.
My choice of paint colour for the diner was based more on the paints I had to hand than anything else. I used the traditional black, white and red to colour the windows. The walls were painted that colour because I knew it would contrast with the base boards. I couldn't paint it grey and watch it disappear into the boards.
I ended up painting the roof in an almost lazy stippling version, applying different mixes of grey and black as I went. This meant I could cover up any glaringly obvious brush strokes. I'm quite proud of the result.
Bring out yer Zed!